Monday, May 14, 2012

The Art of Being “Lost.”

241

My blogs have been pretty "sucky" the past week or so.  I do not apologize.  However, I am going to give an effort as I lay some more groundwork to describe The InnerChange Freedom Initiative(IFI.)

There fore I'm going to write some blog entries about "Being Lost."



There are many factors when being “lost.”

FACTOR #1: You have a destination.

In the swimming pool, people just float around. They splash water and lay on air-mattresses.  They have no where to go.  If you asked them, “Are you lost?” They would probably respond, “Uhhhh, no. It’s a pool.”


FACTOR #2: Realizing you are lost.

When I lived in Nashville, I felt like I quickly got a handle on what roads went where.  I studied the street maps and could get everywhere I needed to go.

One particular Saturday I was taking my guitar to an “open-mic night” to sing a couple of songs.  It was at a little place in the Northeast quadrant of the city.  I took off driving from Bellevue and about an hour later I found myself pulling into Murfreesboro, very much SOUTH of Nashville.

I got lost.

If you would have asked me during my trip if I knew where I was going, I would have (quite smugly) stated, “Hey, I got this. I don’t get lost. I know exactly where I’m going.”

I didn’t recognize I was lost, nor did I feel the need to ask for directions…because I knew where I was going.

FACTOR 3: Admitting you are lost.

Here is a car-conversation I have had more than once with my wife.

AMY: Do you know where you are going?

ME: What? Of course…you know me. Ha! Not know where I’m going? Pshaw!

AMY: Seriously, where are we?

ME: Where are we? Why we’re just right over by that one place near that thing by the side of the road…you know…

AMY: We should pull over and ask for directions.

ME: Pull over? What? I thought you wanted to get there on time.  Those dudes don’t look reliable. They won’t know how to get there…I’d have to tell them how to get there because they won’t know…

SO…

If you have a destination, but you don’t know how to get there or if you thought you were getting there and you realize that you are not getting there and you don’t know where you are and you admit that fact…

You are still lost…

More to come.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment