Monday, July 30, 2012

My "Theatre in the Park" Exprience 2012 Edition

182









The last post of my increasingly mis-labeled "Daily Blog" was July 18th (12 days ago.)

Since that time I've gone through 7 performances of the musical "Urinetown" at Shawnee Mission, KS Theatre in the Park.

(Refer to posts: March 25, 29, 31 and April 1st for my Theatre in the Park Audition experience)

Our final performance was last night.

My first rehearsal for "Sweeney Todd" was April 22.  My final day of "Urinetown" was July 29th.  That's (basically) 5 rehearsals a week for 14 weeks.

This whole theatre experience was just something I wanted to do. The last time I performed in a musical was "Godspell" in 1986.

With CYT i've done the following:
  • Assistant Director:"The Phantom Tollbooth"
  • Music Director: "Beauty and the Beast"
  • Music Director: "Godspell"
  • Music Director: "Thoroughly Modern Mille"
  • Camp Director: "Selections from: Wicked"
  • Numerous other camps...
I have watched my boys develop as performers as well as a whole community of youth performers in CYT.

I would sing parts for the performers I was music directing and found I still had a voice...so I put myself on the other side of the table.

Here are some random "lessons" I learned through this whole process:
  • Auditioning is risky. Putting yourself out to be critiqued and ultimately accepted or rejected based on your ability to sing is dangerous to your psyche...I will be even more sensitive to the actors if I am ever in the position to be in the casting process again...
  • Treat adults like adults. I appreciated Mark Swezey and his "way." I always felt like I was respected as an adult and was treated as such.  I tend to get "lecture-y" and "preachy."  Mark was so quiet and used good "word economy."
  • Treat kids as adults. David Hastings expected his high-school-aged crew to work and act like professional adults...and they did.
  • "Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart." Col. 3:21. I apply this to leadership as much as Parenthood.  There is a fine line between perfecting your task and exasperating and discouraging those you lead.  I'm afraid I've done my share of "exasperating" in the nameof "perfecting."
  • Actors/Performers/Artists are unique. I spent 6 years in Newton primarily surrounded by criminals and convicts.  I've spent the last 6 years surrounded by middle school students, educators and kid-performers. It has been great to be around adult actors and performers as a peer.  I see those artist tendancies in myself and it was nice to share the "uniqueness" with others.
  • Eric Geil is a stud. It was great being Eric's peer and to watch him through the process of learning, rehearsing, perfecting, and performing a role.  He schooled me oun mapping out scenes. He was efficient in rehearsals and present in performances.  He treated every cast and crew member with respect. Then blew out the stops on stage. We talked about the script and our characters' motivations.  It was just a great experience...one that will not come again.
So now I am full into Junior High and High School football.  I don't know It I'll want to be in a show next year, but this has certainly been a joyful experience for me personally.

chris


No comments:

Post a Comment