Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Labor Day Drive

159

On Labor Day (Monday) Amy had to work in the afternoon and Half-Price Books had a Labor Day Sale.  So off I went to sell some books and buy some books.

(BTW: Amy’s hardback Twilight Series fetched a whopping $.60 each)

Anyway…

I am driving on 435 heading west. Just past State Line road I see a traffic cop in a Suburban giving someone a ticket.  I look in my rearview mirror and notice a motorcyclist flying up behind me.  He was on a Japanese-looking motorcycle and he’s weaving through traffic.  The rider is decked out in a full motocross outfit.  He whips past me on my right, cuts in front of me and zips on up the interstate.  A second later, the SUV-Cop flips on his lights and rips into traffic.

Wow, I thought, that cop could see that motorcycle?

A mile up the road, near the Metcalf exit, I see the motorcycle in pieces all over the road., the SUV-Cop is on his radio, and the rider is facedown on the pavement.  What is interesting is the Officer is on his radio looking at the motorcycle and he’s turned away from the rider.  I don’t know the status of the rider, but he did remind me of an action figure flung across a room.

(I sense the probability of an affirmative response to Wesley’s request to buy a motorcycle becoming less and less as I exit onto Metcalf.)

I go to Half-Price Books without incident. I get $3 for the books I trade in. I buy the two books I’m looking for. I head back south on Metcalf towards 435.

As I pass the Mall on 95th I look to my left up a block and I see one of the streetlights slowly topple over and block three lanes of northbound traffic.

Now, I’m going to type that again.

I watch a huge silver streetlight fall (in slow motion) right across three lanes of on coming traffic.  It looked as if perhaps Paul Bunyan had been there.  No car had run into the pole.  It just fell over.  Luckily no one was killed or hurt.  Everyone had time to stop and the pole didn’t crush anyone.

That was weird.

I went home, sat on my couch, and read.

No more outings for me today.


chris

No comments:

Post a Comment