Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Remember.

155



I remember being in my office in the prison.

I remember Jesse coming to my office and telling me, "An airplane hit the World Trade Center."

I remember thinking, "You know, I don't know why that hasn't happened before." (I thought it was a tiny plane.)

I remember a little later someone else came to my office, "Another plane has hit the World Trade Center. They are saying it is some kind of attack."

I remember thinking, "Whaaaat?"

I remember calling Amy at home and saying, "Turn on the TV right now on any station. What do you see?"

I remember her saying, "Oh.  Oh no. Oh no..."

I remember going over to "E" unit on the wing and standing there with inmates and Correctional Officers a like staring at the TV screens.

I remember going home that night and being glued to the television, even though there was nothing new to see.

I remember calling and talking to my Dad.

I remember seeing on-air newscasters break down and sob live as they tried to report what was happening.

I remember the knot I felt in my stomach.

I remember the anger.

I remember the helplessness.

I remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment