Thursday, June 14, 2012

Having empathy.

BONUS BLOG: (Now only 7 posts behind!)

208

One day at the prison, I talked to one of the guys. Let's call him, "Ray." He urgently wanted to talk to me in my office.

Here was our conversation...

RAY: Chris, I learned something in Criminality today.

ME: Really? What did you learn.

RAY: The things I do affect other people.

ME: Okay?

RAY: For instance. Let's say you say or do something that makes me mad or hurts my feelings.

ME: Go on...

RAY: And then let's say I beat you down (*which was Ray's go-to strategy in all of life, especially the women in his life)

ME: Alright.

RAY: THAT HURTS YOU...it hurts you when I beat you down.  Even though I may feel better, it hurts you.

ME: That is correct Ray.

RAY: My actions can hurt other people (*he's getting very excited now) and if I take it out on them by beating them down...THAT...HURTS...THEM!

ME:...

RAY: (*said with tears in his eyes) That's called, "EMPATHY!"

ME: Yes! Good for you Ray! Good for you! Yes, beating people down DOES hurt them. Good insight Ray! I'm proud of you Ray!

It's the little things, really.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment