Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Understanding "The Criminal Mind."

199 (10 posts behind)


I learned a valuable lesson from Marty Marsh, (Newton Correctional Facility's psychologist) on afternoon as he had me sit-in while he talked to an inmate who was being considered for release, (let's call him, Larry):

MARTY: Larry, tell me what you've learned while you've been in prison.

LARRY: I've learned a lot about my self and my addictions. I've learned about my triggers and pattens. I've learned to have empathy for others. I've learned that my behavior and actions have been hurtful and illegal....

MARTY: Larry, it it OK to have a Meth-lab in the basement of our house across the street from an elementary school? (Which of course, Larry had an was the reason he was in prison.)

LARRY: No, nope, uh-uh. That's illegal. It's dangerous for the neighborhood, especially the kids at the school, what with the potential for explosions and all...newp...

MARTY: ..........

LARRY: But sometimes you have to do things. I was in debt, and I didn't have a job.  I never dealt dope to a kid and I never had an accident in the lab. I was just going to make enough money to get going and then I was going to quit altogether. It's just something I had to do at the time.

MARTY: Hmmmmmmmm....

LARRY: ..........

MARTY: Larry, is it OK to hit your wife? (Which, of course he had a long history of doing.)

LARRY: No, nope, uh-uh. Your wife should be treated with respect. She is a person. Hitting someone hurts them. It is harmful to respond in anger.  You should use words to express yourself rather than harmful actions...newwwwwp...


MARTY: ..........


LARRY: But sometimes you have to, I mean, she was yelling at me first...and she wouldn't shut-up.

MARTY: Hmmmmmmmm......

LARRY: ..........


MARTY: OK, I think we're done here.


(Insert your own life lesson here: ___________________________________________________.)


chris

No comments:

Post a Comment