Thursday, August 30, 2012

Criminal Career Options

165

I was talking to a young man in the common area of Unit “E” at the Newton Correctional Facility.  He was from the Quad-Cities and 26 years of age. He was nervous about getting out of prison and “not” being a drug dealer.  Our conversation went something like this:

 
QUAD-CITIES: Chris, I’m nervous about getting out.

ME: What are you most nervous about?

QUAD-CITIES: Well, I can’t deal drugs anymore.

ME: Yes, that’s right.

QUAD-CITIES: I don’t know what I’m going to do for money.

ME: What jobs have you had in the past?

QUAD-CITIES: Dealing drugs.

ME: Besides that.

QUAD-CITIES: That’s it. I’ve only ever just been a drug dealer.

ME: You’re kidding.

QUAD-CITIES: Nope.

ME: Never had a paper route or worked fast-food or retail or anything?

QUAD-CITIES: Never needed to.

ME: How long have you been dealing drugs?

QUAD-CITIES: Since Junior High.

ME: You sold drugs AT a Junior High or you were IN Junior High when you started dealing?

QUAD-CITIES: Both. I was IN Junior High and I was AT a Junior High.

ME: What did your Dad do for a living?

QUAD-CITIES: Drug Dealer.

ME: Grandpa?

QUAD-CITIES: Drug Dealer.

ME: Siblings?

QUAD-CITIES: Dealers.

ME: Neighbors?

QUAD-CITIES: Not all of them were Dealers.

ME:…

QUAD-CITIES: Some of them were Cooks.

ME: Meth Cooks?

QUAD-CITIES: Oh…yeah.

ME: Do you know anyone who is not a Drug Dealer?

QUAD-CITIES: You.

ME: Anyone else?

QUAD-CITIES:……………My IFI mentor?

 

Insert your own life lesson here: ________________________________________.

 

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment