Friday, August 3, 2012

Eric Goes For a Lasik Exam

178

Eric is at Silverstein Eye Center getting an exam to see if he is a candidate for Lasik surgery.  As a performer (particularly a dancer) it would be super convenient for him not to wear glasses or contacts.  So there he is...

The lens of the eye focuses light to the back of the eye where sensors send information to the brain which the brain interprets as an image.  The lens is tiny, and if the lens has imperfections or is warped in any way it distorts the image coming into the brain.  Things will appear blurry or distorted.  Of course the object being looked at is what it is, but the imperfect lens tricks the brain into seeing a distorted image.

I need to wear glasses at night to drive.  I cannot distinguish the position of a stop light from one block to the next.  I have run a red light because I was looking at the next block's green light and could not distinguish between the two. I had no depth perception.  I had a warped perspective.

I had gone several years without glasses and my vision had deteriorated over time.  I went to the optometrist and took the exam.  The optometrist made an insightful comment to me after the exam:

EYE DOCTOR: Oh, I see the problem.

ME (Hoping for some great insight): Yes,

EYE DOCTOR: You can't see.

ME: Uhhhh, may I review your medical certificate again...

So I got glasses.  I was amazed. I could see details like the leaves on trees and I could see all the way down the street, as if it was in 3D (because, as Wesley pointed out, everything IS in 3D.)

Lasik surgery reshapes the tiny imperfections in the eye's lens with an even tinier laser.  Those tiny adjustments result in seeing things accurately.

Fill in your own life lesson here: _______________________________________________________

chris

For more information about Silverstein Eye Center and Lasik Surgery: Silverstein Eye Centers/Lasik

No comments:

Post a Comment