Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Birth of Christian

176

In 1998 we had three very unique boys and we had gone through a family loss. Amy was pregnant earlier in the year, but lost the baby after a minor car accident.

It was without question that we would have another child.

We were making other life-changes as well. I was going to leave The King’s Daughters’ School after 11 years. I was going to be on staff at New Life Church , and I was going to get a job with the local school system.

We were also having multiple meetings at Church preparing for the “end of the world” the dreaded Y2K.

In the midst of that, Christian was conceived.

I was surprised at the amount of anxiety I had early on in Amy’s pregnancy. She was having some pregnancy related conditions and was uncomfortable through the hot Tennessee summer. On August 7th, 1999; he came.

We had friends who had “home births,” some without incident, some with incident. We were not so brave.

We had friends (who were Catholic, and had multiple Children) who had a pool in their bedroom so they could have a home water birth.

Again…not so brave.

The “Water-Mom” was also training to be a birth attendant or “Doula.” So she was going to be in the room with us as Amy delivered.

Christian decided to come on a Saturday. Our experience with Eric and Wesley was that they came very quickly. So we “paged” (remember those?) Water-Mom and headed to the hospital. Water-Mom, being a good Catholic, was at Mass and we didn’t have a cell phone. So we left the message and got down to business.

Things progressed at a more typical rate than his brothers. She was dilating but not yet ready to push. The contractions were getting more intense.

Suddenly the birthing room door busted open and in barge Water Mom to the rescue.

WATERMOM: I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I was at Mass and I didn’t pay attention to my pager.

ME: No problem, we’re just here suffering. And when I say “we” I mean “her.”

WATERMOM: How far is she dilated? How far are the contractions apart? What is your pain level?

ME: I have a slight headache…

WATERMOM: Not You!

Water Mom then pulled out her Hippie Satchel and began dumping, what appeared to me, instruments more suited for Gitmo, but were really different massage implements.

Ultimately, Amy then pushed a few times and out came Christian.

He nursed right away and was a pretty good sleeper.

I remember holding him a lot because I knew he was going to be the last baby for awhile (until the grandbabies.)

He survived Y2K and the new move to Iowa and a thousand other perils…

Even Water Mom.




chris

1 comment: