Sunday, February 19, 2012

Full Disclosure

326

In real estate you have to provide a "disclosure form" when you sell your property.  It is a list of everything that was wrong or is wrong with your house.

For instance. In our current home the disclosure revealed termite damage.  So before we closed on the house we had an expert crawl under the house, look at the damage and look at the "corrective action" of the damage. In the end, it checked out "Okay."

But in life, I have to confess, I am a bit of a hypocrite.

I know that "full disclosure" is necessary for those confessing crimes, reporting abuse, revealing addiction.

But at other times, full disclosure is a hassle and creates more hassle.

In the world of "criminal thinking" nuanced responses that have "some" truth, some hidden (but pertinent) facts, and some misdirection are the most effective kinds of deceptions. Straight fabricated lies can be found out, but partial truths based in some real events can be debated.

Bill Clinton is the perfect example.  Slick Willy told a billion people (and I quote), "I never had sexual relations with that woman, and I never lied."

Now, we all found out that he had, in-fact (according to the definition of "sexual relations" in the minds of 99.9% of the people in the world) had participated in those "types" of relations and that he had lied.  It was glaringly obvious to EVERYONE in the world with a brain.  So how could someone so smart and so public tell such a bold-faced lie?

Well, let's look at it from President Clinton's perspective.  Technically..in a strictly biological sense...no, he had not "officially engaged' in "sexual intercourse."  He had done everything else, including some other disturbing activities that came out (so to speak) during the deposition, but the actual "let's make a baby" activity had not (strictly speaking) happened.

And the "I never lied" statement, from Willy's perspective, was also, technically true.  He did say, "I had an inappropriate relationship...it was wrong." and in his mind, he was all good.  He compartmentalized his mind to where he could say those things with passion and feel justified without looking (or feeling) guilty.

Is President Clinton so different from some of our responses to questions we don't want to answer?

Well...yes.

Most of us don't have that extreme of an ego to lie to the world when we know we are COMPLETELY hit.  But we may be kind of like that...a bit.

"How are you today?" It is a social question no one wants to answer and no one wants answered.  It is a social formality.  So when we respond in the expected way, "Fine" when we are not "fine" are we lying?

We have all sorts of societal call-and-response rituals:

CALL: "How do you like my new shirt?"
RESPONSE: "Love it!"

CALL: "How is your food?"
RESPONSE: "Great!"

(and my new retail store favorite)

CALL: "Did you find everything all right?"
RESPONSE: "Yes, thank you."

I gotta tell you, in my little blog here, I don't fully disclose. I don't want to do it and quite frankly, you don't want to hear it.

I imagine The Lord is the only true place for full disclosure:

1.) Not only does He already know everything we've ever done, He has first-hand knowledge.  He was there in all of our "stuff" and will be there in the rest of our "stuff." He's not surprised, shocked, or caught off guard. He knows even the intentions of our hearts...better than we know our hearts.

2.) He knows His own power. He knows His own ability to forgive. He knows the depths of His own love.  He knows there is nothing that can overwhelm His forgiveness. He does not have a dilemma of what to do.  He knows the solution.

3.) He has a great desire to forgive.  He wishes no one to perish.  He longs to bring healing and hope and real wholeness.  He is not put off bu our yuck (see #s 1 & 2)

So today at Church someone I love comes to me and asks, "How're you feeling?" I don't say, "My hip hurts worse to than when I started going to the chiropractor and I have a headache and I feel like a failure in all areas of my life and I want a cup of coffee and my general mood dip has come a month early and I need o get a prostate exam and my ears are ringing." I say, "Good." Which is he right and appropriate thing to say, and actually true-because the rest of that stuff is mouse-poop.

I just typed "mouse-poop." Awesome.

chris

4 comments:

  1. And THAT my old friend, is why I don't go to church regularly anymore. I don't want to sound judgmental because I participated in that charade very well myself, but this seems to me to be a shallow existence where we no longer "go deep" with those that are supposed to love us and accept us best.

    Trusting one another enough to have real conversations about our lives is much like trusting God. If we don't don't it in the little things, how can we possibly expect to do it when it really matters. Practice makes perfect. We can't step out onto the stage with an instrument that we only pickup and diddle with once every blue moon and expect to light up the world with our song. And we can't only go before our brothers and sisters with our lives when we are in deepest need and expect that we have a relationship that will weather the really dark and dirty parts. If I don't have that kind of relationship with my church family, it doesn't make me wonder what need I have in God, but what need I have in Church.

    There, how's that for disclosure?

    BTW- I'm doing fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that our (as in you and I) not going to church regularly is a generational phenomenon (see my "Generation Jones" entry.) I'm just too tired to meet anyone new.

    Plus I've never felt the Sunday Morning experience was meant for deep, interpersonal social connecting (that is for small group.) It is however for corporate connecting with God. Ironically, If I'm not heart-connected with other individuals in the congregation, I'm not that apt to join them in corporately connecting with God. It's a circle.

    And I have gas...how's that for disclosure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm coming at this from a different perspective. Lately I've been trying to focus (and not very effectively much of the time, I'll admit) on positive confession. That is, practicing what I presently understand to be God's Word relative to my speech. Our pastor has a teaching titled, "Perception = Confession= Possession", wherein he explains that how you perceive your circumstance determines how you speak about it, which, in turn, greatly affects the outcome of said circumstance.
    God says quite alot in His Word about "speaking things that are not as though they were" and "the power of life and death" being in the tongue. To speak positively about your situation, from a place of faith in God and His promises, is not to pretend things don't royally suck when, in fact, they do. Rather, it is coming into agreement with the Word for the realization of "hope, and a future."
    Fact: I am on medication for hypertension.
    Truth: God is Jehovah-Rophe (God, our Healer).
    I understand Jesus' teaching to be that my faith is what brings my healing, and so I do not confess (disclose) high blood pressure in my daily walk. Instead, I speak the Word over my body and mind and seek alignment with His promises, which are true and will not return to him unfullfilled due to error on His part.
    In other words: Truth Changes Fact.
    I believe I am best served when I figure out just what it is that I believe, and speak that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I see David saying the whiniest stuff in the Psalms (I am in Sheol...all my bones are broken...) and he's a man after God's own heart. I'm just going to be honest in how I feel instead of denying something that I am experiencing. I guess it is a dual experience because I am whole and healed while I am sick & dying...so to speak.

      Delete