Sunday, February 26, 2012

Prophesy

319

When I was in Bible College, "modern-day" and "prophesy" were mutually exclusive terms. If you used them together you would, most likely, get "kicked out of the club."

But there I was, letting a a couple I barely knew say something to me that would effect my whole family, the whole direction of mt life.  I could have comfortably stayed at KDS (a place that I loved) for ever, but my heart was being moved somewhere else.

I really like the writings of T. Austin-Sparks.  In his book "The Prophetic Ministry" he "de-mystifies" what prophesy is and what function it serves.

First of all prophesy is simply revealing or making clear what God's purposes are for the moment.  Not just the general do-good menu we all tend to order from, but what specifically he is doing and how we are a part of it.

Second; he generally does something in the life of the "prophet" as an object lesson for the rest of the world to see, which at times seems to suck for the prophet (like only sleeping on your left side or shaving 1/2 of our beard or taking the town whore as your wife.)

It was not a big jump after i settled that i my spirit.  I was already saying "yes" to everything anyway.  The pigeon hole prophesy as only a look into the future is to miss the point.  God mostly wants to reveal what he is doing now.

chris

For all the writings of T. Austin-Sparks online: http://www.austin-sparks.net/

1 comment:

  1. Very true! I agree we miss the point if we only view prophecy through mystical, predictive lens. God declared Abraham to be His first prophet, and Abraham never spoke concerning the future at all.
    Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete