Friday, December 9, 2011

My favorite Christmas present from childhood.

389


For three years I asked for “Rock’em Sock’em Robots” for Christmas. Christmas of 1970, I finally got them.  I was sooooo happy. That Christmas I was sick with my annual bout of tonsillitis (and no, I never got my tonsils taken out.) I had a high fever and I remember feeling so woozy coming down the stairs.  When I unwrapped the present, I couldn’t believe it.  Looking back now, that was quite a sacrifice my parents made to get them.  In 1970 my Dad was working at a new, innovative, upstart of a retail store (on Fleur Drive in Des Moines) called “Target.” Their logo was…a target.  I know their toy department did not have “Rock’em Sock’em Robots” (I had looked.)  So he had to go to a toy store down town and buy them.  They weren’t cheap either, and we didn’t have much money.  Yet they made it happen, and it is one of the few Christmas presents I ever remember getting. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment