Saturday, March 31, 2012

Call Backs (The Saga of #483)

285

I was designated "483."  That was my TITP number.  I wasn't called by name. I was called by "483."

After my audition last Sunday for the Theatre in the Park (TITP) 2012 season I was feeling pretty satisfied with ole 483.  I sang the way I wanted to sing and represented myself adequately.

Then, when 483 was called back for 6 potential roles in three different show, I was feeling even more adequate.

Today, after 8 hours of callbacks, Mr. 483 is feeling back to his less than adequate self.

My morning started at 7:45 signing in for the "Legally Blonde" callback.  My role (Callahan) was the second to be worked with, so by 9:00 AM I was singing with 8 other old dudes.

It went "ok" and about as good as it could considering the time of day.  I hit all the notes with pitch, energy and volume. I even hit the higher optional note at the end solidly.  One gentleman in my group was having a migraine.  He began singing gibberish lyrics and singing in a crazy key. At least I didn't do that.  We were dismissed by 9:15 and I headed home.

I drank my green tea with honey and rested for an hour. I then headed back to my "priority" callback, "Sweeney Todd."

The  Sweeney folks had called me back for Todd, Turpin, Pirelli, and the Ensemble.  All of us worked on a portion of the chorus number and it became very apparent to me that I had engaged in some "Magical Thinking."  I could get this stuff eventually, but I had no business trying it cold.  I took some comfort in that a majority of the guys were in my same shoes.

It actually got easier when I was able to do the solos. Again, I felt like I sang about as good as I could of.  I had better pitch and control compared to the previous call back.  I was familiar with the "Sweeney" numbers so that was a comfort..

The "Pirelli" number was fun.  One gentleman came in looking the part of Pirelli.  He had salt & pepper curly locks of hair with an awesome gotee.  He nailed it.

There was one man in my group that looked like a real actor.  He was probably in his mid-50's and it became quite evident that he was going to be the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

After "Sweeney" I had a 3 hour window til my next callback.  I picked up Christian from his rehearsal at the CYT office and headed home for a bit more rest.

At 5:15 I arrived back at the Jewish Community Campus for the Urinetown callback.  Again, we worked on some of the chorus numbers and then broke-up into groups.  When I got up to sing, the music director looked at me and waved me on. "I already know you can sing," She said. I think she may have mistaken me for someone else.

I did my monologue and read for a couple other parts. Then, by 8:36, I was done.

Ultimately, I doubt if I get any kind of part.  Eric sent in a video audition for Urinetown, so it would be fun to be in that show with him.  I need to work on performing at callbacks if I am going to keep auditioning for shows

Nick Monoldo told me it was his life's ultimate goal to be mentioned in the 500to50 blog. So. here's a bunch of other cyber friends I saw at callbacks today:

Rachel Gorman,
Hannah Beck,
Amy Hurrelbrink,
Nick Monoldo,
Houston St. John,
Noah Loethan,
Riley Taylor,
Adam McAdoo,
Emy Blake,
Kelsy Schuman,
Sarah Saugier,
Chuck Chambers

There, the saga of #483 is over.

#483

To learn more about Urinetown: The Musical: Pay to Pee

No comments:

Post a Comment