Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Homestead

486

John Christian Hansen bought a farm in Hardin County, just outside of Iowa Falls, Iowa in 1900.  It had a house on it that was the stagecoach stop. (In the walls behind the lath and plaster and between the studs are rows of bricks to make it bullet-proof.) My Grandpa Pete owned it next and my mom was born in the down stairs bedroom.  It has really been the only constant "place" in my life.  My Mom and Dad own it now; 160 acres with a giant wind-turbine farm to the north and the ever encroaching houses of Iowa Falls in the south east.  The newly painted (huge) barn that was built in 1913 makes the place look even more like a post card.

I just had my 1,000,000th bonfire and my 10,000,000th 'smore there tonight.

Happy Labor Day.

chris

1 comment:

  1. Remember playing in the haymow & building forts & tunnels with the bales?

    ReplyDelete