Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Green Beans

420

We lived on 10-acres 6 miles west of Knoxville , Iowa .  I was in 6th grade, and we had a garden, a big garden. It was my job to plant the seeds for the Green Beans.
 
As a typical male, I began without getting the directions.  So I started at one side of the garden with my little trowel, dug a little hole, and planted seeds.  I thought it was easy.  The ground had been tilled and raked.  The soil was soft and I had a pouch full of seeds. I dug away and put a seed down every few inches.  When I got to the other side I saw that my row was a crazy zigzag.

Our neighbor, Marvin Miller (yes, I lived next to Farmer Miller) had watched me plant my row and had said nothing.  He then spoke-up. “You need to drive a stick about 12” tall on either side of the garden. Then you run a string between the two to mark your row.”

I actually replied (I’m not lying, and I wasn’t being sarcastic), “My row is so crooked; I’d never get that string to follow it.”

He didn’t laugh.  He just calmly said, “You set-up the string BEFORE you plant the seeds.”

ME: “Ohhhhhhhhhhhh…..”

Insert life application here: _________________________________________________.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment