Sunday, November 13, 2011

What's in a name?

415

I also have some rules about what Congregations name themselves. And Yes, I will not go to a certain church simply because of the name...

You have your normal "church" names, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Catholic, etc. I can be "OK" with any of those names.

When you add some adjectives it can turn out "OK":

FIRST Baptist Church

SECOND Lutheran Church

THIRD Reformed Church (yes, that's a real name of a church)

Other phrases make you church sound weird:

FIRST Methodist Church OF POWER

Never trust a church with the words "Miracle" or "Deliverance" in the name:


MIRACLE Temple of DELIVERANCE (another actual name)

I am unsure of TEMPLE or TABERNACLE in the title, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to pass on any of those.

Church names that are too long are out: Saint Andrews Temple Church of the Living God or Jesus the Son of the Living God Spiritual Baptist Church.

 If the pastor's picture is on the sign in front of the church, NO DICE.

Some church names are so nebulous, I don't really know where I'm going or who I'm with. Like: The Pulse, The Vision, Infinite Space, The Journey (Don't Stop, Believin')

I tend to approve of churches who have "Community" in the name: Vineyard COMMUNITY Church

or the name of the town: Des Moines Vineyard Church

but both "Community" and the name of the town can be a bit overkill: Lawrence Community Vineyard Church.

Churches with "Family" in the title are just pandering First FAMILY Church? Really?


There are also Bible words that get thrown into church names like: Grace Church (technically, aren't they all?)  or very specific denominational statements: Coronation of Our Lady Catholic Church (...?)

I like just plain names:

Belmont Church
Lee's Summit Community Church
Father Grady O'Mulliganstien's Church of the Holy Acorn of Power.

chris

2 comments:

  1. You said that you find it overkill for there to be the town name and "community" in the title...but then under plain names, you listed Lee's Summit Community Church. Lee's Summit = town, Community = ...community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is overkill but within my parameters. Over-overkill would be Lee's Summit Christian Community Congregational Church (LSCCCC)of Power (LSCCCCoP.)

    ReplyDelete