Thursday, November 17, 2011

The show so far (even farther)…

411


I have to keep reminding myself that the 500to50 blog is about my self-absorbed expression, not some kind of educational or inspirational site.  As Jim Rome says often about his own radio sports-talk show, “More of ME and less of YOU is good for the show.”  This is a reflective exercise for ME.  The sharing of my ditherings on-line is purely for my own accountability.  There. I’ve reminded myself.

Goals & Trends

In ChrisWorld, I am defining a “goal” as a definite/specific event that will take place within a particular timeframe. For instance, I want to weigh less than 236 lbs by January 1. 2013. It is a specific, measurable, attainable, & time-framed goal, a SMART goal, if you will.

Here are some more goals with a progress statement:

Ø      500 blog entries by 01/01/13 (keeping pace)
Ø      200 work outs by 01/01/13 (not keeping pace due to my lingering and quite painful sciatic nerve issue-however, I can still achieve this goal through the help of the next goal)
Ø      Find a chiropractor and comply with treatment by 01/01/13 (Keeping pace.  I found a guy I like.  His office is near my home. He takes my insurance.  He’s given me some tips and exercises and I am seeing him 3-times a week.)
Ø      Find a Men’s Health Doctor and comply with directives by 01/01/13 (Not yet attempted.  I am dreading finding someone because I know myself; If I don’t like them, I’m not going to be honest or comply.  My Dad is going through prostate cancer treatment and for his sake, I’m looking to find someone before the end of the year, but to be honest, I am dragging my feet.)

I have a lot more goals in mind, but these are the ones I’m concentrating on until New Years.

I am defining “trends” as general practices in my everyday life that are not necessarily strictly counted and are open-ended in nature.  For instance:

Ø      I will drink more water on a daily basis. (Making Good Progress)
Ø      I will participate in more daily, recreational, physical activity (Making Some Progress-considering my left leg from my lower back to the outside of my heal goes from sharp pain to dull pain to numb throughout the day and over night.)
Ø      I will drink less coffee and soda, etc. (Not so much…)
Ø      Get more sleep. ( Actually getting less sleep than usual)

I know myself. If I get too many goals going I get very rigid in my thinking.  I then get overwhelmed when it looks like I’m going to fail. Finally, I just pitch everything and I lie around and eat chips feeling like a depressed loser.  So if I’m trending towards something positive, I’ll give myself some wiggle room (remember, “Relapse is part of recovery.” Besides, I ain’t quitting coffee all-together.”

I have a bunch of trends I want to establish, but I’m seeing what comes out of my Doctor consultations, Chiropractic visits, and workouts to prepare my self to prepare myself, (apparently, being more redundanter is one of my trends.)

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment