Sunday, November 27, 2011

I dis "Twilight."

401

There are many reasons why the "Twilight" series of books and movies suck:

>Bad writing
>Bad acting
>Bad movie making

...just to name a few.

However; there is an insidious and dangerous message embedded in the premise of the stories that I would not allow my daughter (if I had one) to embrace.

In the book and movie Edward describes himself as "the ultimate predator."  He has a great desire to devour others.  He kind of knows it's bad (to suck others dry) but his very nature fights against him.

Bella is fascinated by this and believes her love will change or at least maintain Edward's uneasy truce within himself. "I'm not afraid of you," she tells him at one point.  "You won't hurt me."

In real life predators hurt people. A woman's love does not change an abusive predator.  He will poison that love and slowly crush the woman's heart with the pendulum of hurt, apologize, hurt, promise, hurt, apologize...

The fantasy that is being propagated is hurtful and dangerous.

Yes, I know this probably won't effect most girls, but it will affect some.

I worked with many men who were in prison for crimes against women.  They were smooth talkers and knew how to woo the affections of a woman and then twist it.

The love of our lives was meant to be Jesus.  He's not dangerous.  He is the protector and defender of our hearts.  he comes and gives up His life for us.

He is our Romance.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment