Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm irritated with Jim & Janet.

434

The tub/shower enclosure in our downstairs bathroom was ugly.

Old. Yellowed. Nasty.

We put in a new floor, new toilet, painted it a couple times.  There is some nice tile and a frighteningly ultra-mirrored medicine cabinet.  The tub is ceramic, but that enclosure? Icky!

So we bought a bright, new enclosure at Lowes.  I've done lots of demo and I figured it would take about 2 hours to strip the enclosure and the drywall behind it.

Not so fast...

The enclosure came off, no problem, however, the previous remodelers had left us a little gift.

They had drilled drywall to the studs.  Then they Gorilla Glued another piece of drywall to that piece...and screwed it to the studs.  Then (you guessed it) they glued a third piece over the top of all of it.  On one wall their were no studs but the remnant of the outside wall, so it was attached directly to the old wood siding. My reciprocating saw was useless.  It took Amy, the boys and I three days of tag teaming to get it cleared to the studs.

Thanks Jim and Janet from 1992.

How do I know Jim and Janet remodeled the bathroom in 1992?  They wrote their names on the wall underneath the drywall.

I have not been thinking good thoughts about Jim and Janet.  They did a poor job and they tripled our work.

(HERE COMES THE APPLICATION)

We get built and we also do some construction in the lives of others. Some times the work is shoddy and wrong.  It takes a lot of tedious effort to strip to the studs and start over.  There was a reason our tub collected water in the corner where we had clean it every time we took a shower, Jim and Janet's poor work 19 years earlier.  There are people I encounter that have some bad work done in their pasts, and I have to do clean up daily.

Amy and I will not be writing our names on that wall.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment