Sunday, October 9, 2011

Singing

450

I sang my first solo in Kindergarten.  It was “Silent Night” at my school’s Christmas program.  A boy sitting to my left was giggling at me, so as I sang “Sleep in heavenly peace” I was eyeballing him and shaking my fist in a Moe Howard-esq “why-I-outta…” way. Now that’s the Spirit of the Season.

I have always been a strong singer.  Bouncing around to numerous elementary schools and churches, I was in many different choirs.  My mom (to this day) has a beautiful voice.  She was in all-state choir in High School and that is what she knew and that was what was available.  So I sang lots of choir music.

In 6th and 7th grade (’75,’75) I really was onto the groups Yes, Rush, & Queen all of whom had lead singers who could sing absurdly high.  At the same time, I was going through puberty, hence, I became a bass (the lowest I’ve ever been able to sing in my life was 7th grade.)  So singing they way I wanted to sing became a myth, fantasy or fairytale.  There was no way I was going to get up that high.

My junior year our High School hired a fresh-out-of-college University of Iowa grad, Mark Hornbaker.  He was the vocal music teacher and choir director.  I liked him. Early in the school year after vocal music class he asked if I was interested in private lessons.  I usually got to school early anyway, so I started meeting with him at 7:00 am.

He knew what he was doing.  My range increased, my tone got better, I sang in Latin, German and Italian.  But the thing I relished the most was…I could sing high.

Mr. Hornbaker was at Knoxville for only one year.  He then went back to the University of Iowa and got his Masters and Doctorate in Vocal Performance and Opera.  Last I knew he lived in Europe and was an Opera Singer.  He even married to an Eastern European Soprano.  Mr Hornbaker was a Christian and he prayed for me as he saw me spinning out.  After I was saved, I visited him in Iowa City and we talked about John 14, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, Trust also in Me.”  It was my first (and continues to be) Life-Verse.

In 1980 I received two of the most influential albums of my life.  The first was Keith Green’s, So You Wanna Go Back To Egypt? and the other was a live double album of the group The 2nd Chapter of Acts and the artist Phil Keaggy called, How the West was One. 

Although Keith Green wasn’t my style, I loved his piano playing.  His voice moved me and his lyrics punched me in the gut.  I got to see him at Vets Auditorium shortly before he died.

The 2nd Chapter of Acts had Matthew Ward.  His voice was possibly the most beautiful sound I had ever heard.  It was clear and perfect.  We saw them live a couple of times in 1980-81.  I bought every album I could get my hands on and sing all of his parts.

I have always been a good sight reader and I had a very good ear for harmony.


That served me well in Potter’s Clay  and beyond.

chris

1 comment: