Thursday, October 20, 2011

Kirksville (Part 3): Randy & Eric

439

The fall semester of 1984 Al introduced me to Randy Bame.  Randy was an actor, he was super-manly, and looked a little older than he actually was.  Randy looked like the Marlboro Man and Magnum PI.  I had noticed him around campus and had seen him perform with the Franklin Street Singers.  When I got into the acting class, Al hooked us up in a very Al-way, “You’re going to get to know Randy, “Al commanded, “He’s going to call you and you’re going to go out for coffee.”  Who was I to argue? So Randy called and we went to Country Kitchen for coffee.  I fully admit, I had almost never had coffee before my first “meeting” with Randy, but after that, I was hooked.

Randy is a fascinating man.  He has a side of him that is prototypical-artist.  He’s a thinker, he is a deeply emotive, and he lives for experiences and relationships.  He highly values conversations and people.  When he acts, it seems to come from a mysterious place within him that even he can’t adequately explain.  On the other hand, he looks as if he should be riding a horse or a motorcycle.  He often had a quasi-cranky look on his face that made you wondered if you bothered him, would he kick your ass (which couldn’t be further from the truth, he’s just in his own thoughts.)  He always reminded me of Robert Redford in “Jeremiah Johnson.”

Randy walked me through the audition process for “Follies.” All I knew was to show-up and sing.  But there were readings and scenes and movement, a lot of stuff I had no grid for.  Eventually I was cast along side Randy and the two female leads.  I only now appreciate how out-of-my-league I was with those three other professional-level (in my opinion) actors. But they were very kind, gracious, and helpful to me despite my ignorance.

At the same time Randy and I went through the week-long process of auditions for The Franklin Street Singers, the NMSU show choir.  At those auditions I was introduced to Eric Lear.  I had noticed Eric the year before at a couple of Franklin Street performances.  He had a beautifully high falsetto and had overall, had a unique singing style.

Randy and Eric had been in Franklin Street the year before so they were already in the mix. I, on the other hand, didn’t make it in until the final day of auditions when we got to the, “Ok guys, sing this part as loud as you can” portion of the audition.  Up until then I had not stood out.  I was not a “show choir” kind of guy in that I didn’t have a real fake-smile face when I sang.  I was the more brooding serious singer-songwriter guy. But I could blast, and I did that last day.  It really took Rich McKinney (the director) by surprise.  He was a quirky dude and he kept coming over and standing right in front of my face with a look of disbelief.  Franklin Street (and Rich) forced me to learn to perform out to the audience with a somewhat believable happy look on my face.

Randy, Eric and I quickly developed camaraderie.  Most of the other Franklin Street members were music and voice majors where we were on the theater side.  Eric was the stage manager for “Follies” so the three of us spent most of our time together, including our free time.  Eric played the guitar and wrote country/roots-rock type songs so we’d play guitars together. Between Amy (who was also in Follies), Randy, Eric, Follies, Franklin Street, CCF, and the Church, it was a period of time where I got the least amount of sleep in my life, (rivaled only by the birth of our boys.)  It was a year of Jokes, fishing, watching “The Lonely Guy” over and over, coffee, and no-sleep. Miraculously, my grades didn’t drop.

I felt that we really inspired each other to set some lofty goals. Randy wanted to go to L.A. to purse movies.  Eric wanted to do something in music. I wanted to head to the hub of Christian music, Nashville.  I think we encouraged each other.

The three of us were in “Diamond Studs” together (another blast.)  The summer of ’85 Al had me music direct “The Robber Bridegroom” starring Randy with Eric and I in the on-stage band.  We did numerous Franklin Street gigs traveling around the state.  It was just a great year.

By the next school year I really had to buckle down and finish my coursework.  There was a lot of drama attached to Rich and Franklin Street so Randy, Eric, and I bowed out.  I only did one show that next year, “Godspell” with Eric as the John the Baptist/Judas character.  Al arranged for Eric and I to showcase our songs on campus with a full band.

The next year Amy and I got married. Randy and Joe were in the Wedding and Eric sang a song I had written.  Randy later moved to L.A., Amy and I eventually moved to Nashville.  Our last big time together was in Des Monies for Eric and Kate’s wedding. My favorite memory was Eric and Kate, Randy and Al, Amy and I all together sitting in the hotel hot tub.

After college Eric and Kate moved to Roanoke, Randy got his Masters at Ohio University and was Mr. Shakespeare all over the place.  We stayed in touch and visited a bit, but as in all of life, we eventually had our own families we focused on.  Now we are all occasional Facebook friends, but Randy and Eric have left an indelible mark upon me.

chris

No comments:

Post a Comment