Sunday, January 15, 2012

St John's wort

352

St John's wort is a type of Hypericum or herb.  It is a natural anti-depressant and tests comparably to other mild antidepressants when taken at 300 mg.  It is natural and non-perscription.

I tend to have some adverse reactions when taking any kind of pharmaceutical anti-depressant, so it's been St. John's wort for me.  I haven't been on any type of anti-depressant for over 10 years but I think I'm going to start taking this again.

If you've ever suffered from chronic dysthymia or depression you can relate to my next statements without freaking out (If you don't have experience, don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds.)  I know when I'm further down the depression path than I want to be when I start thinking about hopelessness and death a lot. Not "feeling" hopeless, but thinking about it.  Folks w/depression have a hard time "feeling" anything.

After years of experience, I've always done a good job of recognizing what is happening in me and taking appropriate steps (working out, going to bed, talking to someone, eating better, adopting a rugged "can-do" attitude, pushing my way through with will) but I got to admit, this is kicking my butt right now.  I've been working out and eating better (if not completely right.)

So I think I'm going to the St. John's wort for a little help.

No lesson, just whining.

chris

To take a depression self-screening:
Depression Screener

To learn about dysthyumia:
Dysthymia

To learn more about St. John's wort:
St. John's wort

No comments:

Post a Comment